TITLE: ALUMINIUM DIE-CASTING - SIMULATION OF FLOW IN A RUNNER
BY: D R Glynn, FLOWSOLVE, London. Tel: +44 181 944 0940
FOR: Morris Ashby Castings Ltd
- In the die-casting process, molten aluminium is forced from a
reservoir into a delivery channel known as a "runner", and thence
through "gates" into the individual castings.
- The design of the runner should ideally be such that metal arrives
at each gate simultaneously.
- Simulation of flow in the runner can help optimise the design.
- Model features - 3D transient, free-surface (SEM), BFC grid.
- The plots below show the location of the metal front at four
instants through the transient.
- Metal is shown red, air blue.
- Metal is injected at bottom left.
- Outflows at the gates are in the x-direction, i.e. out of the
plane of the plots.