TITLE : ANALYSIS OF STEAM GENERATOR PERFORMANCE
BY : NNC Ltd. - G Hulme
FOR : Nuclear Electric plc.
- 2 and 3 Dimensional steady and transient flow with heat transfer to a
tube bundle and boiling in the tubes.
- Fully interactive coupling between shell and tube sides.
- Automatic meshing and porosity settings handle a range of geometrical
detail and straight or J tube designs.
- The model predicts the performance of a once-through counterflow steam
generator heated on the shell side by LMFBR secondary circuit sodium.
- These units must perform without leaking in a harsh thermal environment
for many years. The design must minimise thermal stresses on tubes and
shells for which detailed temperature predictions are required for all
The pictures (courtesy of Nuclear Electric plc) are as follows:
- Inlet header flow and temperature fields.
- Outlet header flow and temperature fields for a straight tube design.
- Validation of pressure drop predictions in inlet header.
- Radial distribution of length-averaged tube temperatures.
Further information about these calculations may be found in :-
Hulme G and Curzon A F
Analysis of Fast Reactor Steam Generator Performance
Proc. 3rd UK National and 1st European Conference on Thermal
Sciences, 531-537, IChemE, Birmingham, 1992.
For more details about this model or CFD at NNC contact :-
Dr Bob Hornby
NNC Ltd. Tel : 0565 - 633800 x 3912
Fax : 0565 - 633659
Inlet header flow and temperature fields.
Outlet header flow and temperature fields for a straight tube design
Validation of pressure drop predictions in inlet header.
Radial distribution of length-averaged tube temperatures